820 Second Ave, Suite 6D (at 44th St)
New York, New York 10017
- F: 212.682.6979
“One of the most commonly reported pain syndromes that can be treated without surgery”
While most back pain is caused by a simple muscle strain or injury, it can also be caused by a systemic illness as well. Pain is considered chronic when it is present for more than six months with no real improvement. This type of pain can vary greatly and may be felt as bone, nerve or muscle pain. Back pain can develop anywhere from the neck to the lower spine. The pain can be localized or spread across a wide area and radiate from a central point making it difficult to localize.
Why your back hurts.
Often, the condition or injury that triggered the back pain may have healed completely, but the pain may still continue. This happens partly because of a concept called sensitization or an incorrect diagnosis. Sensitization happens when the original injury heals but the pain remains because the nervous system considers it normal to have pain. Of course an incorrect diagnosis can also allow the pain to last much longer than needed.
• Mild to severe pain that exists anywhere on the back
• Radiating pain in the arms or legs
• Associated weakness, numbness or tingling related to the pain
If you are experiencing chronic back pain you could be suffering from an incorrect diagnosis or sensitization. Our expert doctors at Spine & Sports Medicine of New York use expertise in innovative assessments to accurately diagnose the cause of your chronic back pain.
Other diseases that can mimic chronic back pain include:
• Disc degeneration
• Myofascial pain
Our Board-Certified Physicians Can Accurately Diagnose the Source of Your Pain
We conduct a thorough clinical evaluation to determine if the pain is generated from any of the structures in the back as well as other conditions that share similar symptoms. We begin our evaluation of your problem with a complete medical history using detailed information gathering tools followed by a focused physical examination. We then confirm our diagnosis withspecialized tests which may include x-ray, CT, electrodiagnostic (EMG) studies, ultrasonography, or MRI.
“No surgery is needed to relieve your chronic back pain”
Treatment will depend on the source of pain which may range from physical therapy to targeted injections.
Here’s what you can expect if one of our pain specialists treats your pain:
• Relief of pain to get you back to living.
• Several treatment options available to target the root of the problem
• May be accompanied by physical therapy to strengthen your core muscles and improve your posture
• Body mechanics awareness to eliminate the source of the pain
• Possible injections to identify the source of the pain as well as to treat it.
• Many patients gain considerable to complete relief with the first or second procedure
• No general anesthesia, surgery or prolonged recovery periods to slow you down from your busy schedule
• Thousands of patients have been helped by our innovative approach to chronic back pain
Dr. Panagos took extreme care for my condition on many occasions. He was also instrumental in enabling me too make a trip to France for our Daughters birthday. I was in excruciating back pain and he gave me the formula to be able to sustain myself for a week during that time. He did all of this OUTSIDE of his office time, from his home during the evening. That is my kind of a caring Doctor.